Growing up, my sister and I would have one day per week where we each had to cook for the family...my sister was a super star who loved basking in the glow of her masterpieces and I was a supreme failure with my signature dish being Tuna Helper (go me!).
Nowadays, when I go home to visit, I like to show my parents that I can actually cook...but at 14 when I'm 3 hours into Super Mario 2 trying to duck Shyguys and Bob-Ombs, my priorities were elsewhere.
I made this take on Whole Foods healthy Corn and Arugula salad for the parentals when I was in VA...
Here's what you need:
6 ears of fresh corn
1 bunch of arugula (or 1 bag from Trader Joe's)
¼ red onion sliced
1 Tbsp thyme
½ Tbsp canola oil (tip:canola is best for salads because when refrigerated, the canola oil doesn't coagulate)
½ Tbsp white wine vinegar
Sea Salt & Pepper to taste
1.Boil a large pot of water (for the corn), sprinkling a pinch of salt for flavor
2. Shuck the corn then rinse it to wash off any remaining silk
3. Once water comes to a rolling boil, add the corn and boil for 4-5 minutes
4. Let corn cool for about 10 minutes at room temperature then place in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes (if you have all day, it's ideal to let the corn cool at room temperature...but I'm impatient so fridge it is!)
5. While corn is cooling, chop up the red onion (diced or thin slices depending on your preference), set aside
6. Combine the thyme, canola oil and white wine vinegar in a small bowl, whisk with a fork and set aside
7. Once corn has cooled, cut the kernels from the cob using a serrated knife and place into a large bowl
8. Add as much arugula to the corn mixture as you like, toss in the red onion and mix together.
9. Once the ingredients are mixed, pour the dressing all over and toss everything together with your hands (might get a little messy!). Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste
Once done you'll have an easy, guilt-free, crisp Summer salad that tastes like a lot more went into making it (aka perfect for parties!).